Thursday, August 11, 2011

Who Spiked My Drink?



So when I was nursing Max I had enough milk to feed an entire village. It was excessive and a bit of a pain to always be wet. He did take formula occasionally but not alot. I nursed him for eight months. With Mae I had enough milk for her and that was it. We nursed together for about eight months also. Hmmm that seems to be my limit. Spike sucks at nursing and not in a good way. That boy does not want to stay awake to eat and because of that he eats for a few mins, takes and nap then wants to eat again as soon as he awakens. I end up nursing all day long and he still isn't satisfied. Grrr... My milk supply is suffering because of this which of course doesn't help matters. I went to a lactation consultant and it helped a bit, but the main problem is still Spike. I want to quit. I really do. I keep telling myself three months. I can make it to three months I'm already half way there. But I totally feel like a quitter. I know I am not and I really hate myself for feeling that way, but I do. I would like to give props to my family and friends though all of them have been really supportive. Everyone is encouraging me to quit if I want to. I hate feeling like a quitter. Believe it or not, once I get started with something, I am usually fairly good and enduring til the end, or at least pushing myself longer and harder then I want to. My big problem is getting something started in the first place. So what am I going to do? I honestly don't know. Keep going til something happens and I snap. (Not in a bad or dangerous way, just in a "I'm done!" way.) I'm pretty suprised it didn't happen when I had a cold last weekend and really wanted to take some cold medicine.


On another note, someone noted that all my kids names are also words. Yup, not planned, but true. Probably not a good things since I absolutely LOVE puns.

5 comments:

Sarah R said...

First, cute caption for a cute baby. :)
Second, Lindsey was like that too and because I absolutely could not sit and nurse ALL freaking day, I tried to do it at least twice, then used my lovely Medela pump the rest of the day (and night, seriously, it was faster to give baby a bottle, then pump, than to try to keep her awake to nurse). Everyone won- baby still got about 2/3 of meals from mom (hence health benefits) and I didn't feel guilty!

Anonymous said...

If you don't have a pump and want to do the bottle/pump thing, I'd highly recommend getting the pump from either a hospital (the lactation specialist would be the one to contact) or a hospital supply.

Retailers have some, but there is a significant difference in quality. For me it was the difference between functioning and not.

Hannah

Meg said...

here's my unsolicited advice:

1) Think about whether or not nursing miserably is worth sometimes being tired and having a less satisfied baby. If it isn't working, and switching to bottles will fix the problem, then don't let it be the reason for missing the full enjoyment of having a sleepy newborn. He'll still be a brilliant, handsome, gaming prodigy regardless of his milk source.

2)Anyone that makes you feel like you need to explain or justify to them why you breastfeed or don't breastfeed or kept breastfeeding or stopped breastfeeding should be reminded that they are not you, and that they don't have your boobs or your baby. Period.

2) If you DO decide to stick it out and need some extra motivation to get you to three months, or however long you decide to nurse, I find that math is always a good incentive. Well, not math, money :) Add up the cost of 3 months worth of formula, pick out something of equal price that you will buy when you and Spike hit your time, and keep your eye on the prize, baby.

Michele Larkin said...

I like Meg's advice.

Kudo's for being able to breastfeed your babies for so long.

Elizabeth was breastfed for 2 days. I just couldn't do it anymore. Then I pumped my milk for 6 weeks until her immune system started kicking in. Then I had to stop. I felt horrible, but realized that was just the way it had to be with me and my kids. Liz is in the Center for Accellerated Studies. She hasn't suffered mentally for being bottle/formula fed. (Or maybe she has, she could have been a super genius/villian by now.)

With my other kids, if I could actually breastfeed while we were in the hospital, I felt successful. I pumped for 6 weeks with all of them before switching to formula. I was on WIC mostly for the formula. It's expensive.

Stephanie C. said...

Lils was terrible at nursing from day one. She fought it the whole time, and in turn, was always hungry and mad. We finally stopped at 4 months and it was the best thing I every did. I felt like a failure for the longest time, until I realized that I was happier and so was my baby. If I could go back to that frustrated self, I would have stopped much sooner. Hang in there and just do what you think is best for you and little Spike.