Saturday, February 25, 2012
Talk to me baby
So I found myself once again faced with a child who wasn't talking at the same level as their peers. I'm starting to think that maybe it's me. We decided to get an earlier start with Mae then we did with Max. Part of this was because of experience and part was that the two sitautions have actually been different. I felt like with Max that he was a bit behind, but that he communicated more effectivly then Mae does. For Max it was more of a non-polished thing and for Mae it feels more like, something isn't right. I debated whether or not to go down to Little Rock and visit my brilliant speech therapist cousin Liz, but while I feel she would have done the best job, the 3 and a half hour trip would have made regular visits prohibitive. So we had her checked out locally. The therapist we met with was a wonderful gal who is positive, kind, and really works well with Mae. After the testing we met and discussed Mae's needs. Whereas Max had been mostly fine and did not qualify for therapy, Mae is behind. She speaks and comprehends at a twelve month level. The therapist isn't sure why this is exactly, but Mae is going to get speech therapy three days a week for now. I am very excited to help Mae communicate with us. I think it will help us all be happier in the long run. (Although I am not thrilled about the less then convienant schedule we were able to get.) I love my Miss Mae, who is trying to attack me with books while I type this. I am very eager to find out what she wants to say.
Posted by Emily Larkin at 10:24 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
i think it's wonderful that she's going to be getting speech! hopefully this will help lessen some of her and your frustration once she's able to communicate better! each kid is so different, good for you for getting her what she needs! (although I think you should come visit too, it's been too long since we've seen you and we need to meet Spike!)
Good for you. It is hard to look at our own children and admit to ourselves that something may be wrong, but in the long-run it is better for everyone involved.
I hope that everything goes well with the speech therapy.
I saw your facebook post about the insurance crap...I sure hope you are able to figure something out. Good for you guys for being proactive -- I have a friend whose child needs serious help (the speech and other therapists have suggested neurological problems) but her husband refuses to go through with it because he doesn't want to know if there is something really wrong. She says it's pride, which is so sad because often early intervention makes such a huge difference.
Post a Comment