Monday, July 16, 2012

The Crawl of Arkansas

I'm a bit behind in this post.  One of my best friends Lara had a baby last month.  It was her fourth which is not so unusual among Mormons, but it had been over five years since her last baby.  It has been interesting watching her go through the pregnancy and baby stuff because the age distance is kinda what Jeff and I have in mind for our family.  On the one hand, she was almost to the all alone at home stage, but then again there is an advantage to having only one at home to focus on.  Anyway.....I was delighted to throw her a baby shower.  Now here's the deal; did she already have a shower with her last kid, yes, but I wanted to throw her a party.  I love Lara and she is the most no-fuss person I know.  Those kind of people are the fun ones to make a fuss over.  I really enjoyed going all out on decorations and food.  Thanks to Pinterest I made a tart bar.  Everyone could take a tart shell and fill it with Pastry Cream, Chocolate Cream, or Strawberry Lemon Curd.  Then of course top with fresh whipped cream, berries, or chocolate.    It turned out really delicious.  I am not a fan of shower games, so I decided to have a baby race.

 I recruited two babies around Spike's age and we had them race across the living room.   Yeah, it was even better then it sounds. 
Spike was so overwhelmed by the noise that he burst into tears immediately and wouldn't budge the entire time.  P, the winner was the oldest, but her main competition, C, did well til half way through he decided to start walking and that set him back. 

It was a great shower and Lara made a good haul, (which of course was the whole point anyway.)  Everyone left with a bundle of my homemade Tobler peanut butter fudge.

3 comments:

Meg said...

I think the diaper derby is the funniest thing ever! I loved their race names and profiles, too. Fun stuff. And the tarts were pretty much to die for. You threw a great party!

chococatania said...

This sounds like it was a lot of fun. A race is such a hilarious idea.

Anonymous said...

Pretty much sounds like the best baby shower EVER. Love the baby races.