I am suffering from a spiritual block. It is like a writers block but instead of not being able to write, I am not able to compose a talk for next Sunday. I have never had such a hard time with giving a talk. For the past week and a half I have been struggling with absolutely no success or inspiration. Giving talks is not my favorite thing to do, but I have always found the experience to be deep and rewarding in the end. This time I am stressed to almost collapse. I am not sure why I am having such a difficult time. I have tried everything, (including not worrying about it,) and it almost feels like something is physically blocking my brain from working. So...any thoughts on 2 Nephi 31:20. Yeah, I know right? It's like the whole purpose of life and the Gospel in one scripture. What more is there to say. Maybe I should just get up there and read the scripture and bear my testimony (It may come to that!) So everyone in my ward who reads my blog can now look forward to this Sunday in a "Lets see what kind of train wreck Emily's talk will be," way. Special shout out to Katie G. who reads my blog and whose husband gave me the assignment in the first place (Not that I blame him, not at all, and I am so not going to start my talk with an ultra lame story of how "I avoided his call" or one of the other moronic things so many people say to make themselves feel witty in a cheap attempt to pander to the audience's dislike of giving talks. Those so Must Go!) But shout out none the less in a maybe they should prepare and add a really long rest hymn.
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Ok, I looked up the scripture and two general conference talks come to mind...both are President Uchtdorf.
The first is The Way of the Disciple ...which gives a basic formula for discipleship (hope and faith come first, then steadfastness and endurance through trials) here is the address:
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=ddfa230bac7f0210VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
The other talk (which I think might be even more helpful) is The Infinite Power of Hope. (scroll down to the conclusion of this talk, where he even references this exact scripture) here is the link for that talk:
http://www.lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=bbd44bb52a73d110VgnVCM100000176f620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD
I'm sure you'll do well. Try to get your talk written before friday, so it doesn't hang over your head all weekend.
Yeah, I read those and they were awesome. I think maybe the problem is that I usually get this sure feeling about which way to go and this time nothing. If nothing else on Sat. I will just approach it like a term paper and sit and write the thing. (Fun for everyone!)
You totally made me laugh and smile thanks for that. I am sure you will do great.
nice job today!
Post a Comment