Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Well no one else is going to do it for me.


I love my new house. I love love love it. It sucks that we still haven't sold the old one, and that I have a "meeting" scheduled with our renters tomorrow night about how they are responsible to pay for their own propane, but it is all worth it because I love my new house. There are so many great things about my house that I could blog about but today I want to discuss my yard. I love my yard. The original owner of the house was a landscape architect and it shows. The yard, which sits on a hill, is leveled in well designed and quality ways. All of the retaining walls were built with the support beams actually going into the hill.

There are lots of great details. We have beautiful slopes of landscaped river rock and lots of potential flower beds. There are beds for an herb garden with a matching compost bin.

We even have a gazebo with bridge. The house sits on a 1/3 an acre lot and sits next to another 1/3 acre lot. Originally the lost were owned together, (they are even landscaped together with a path going from the gazebo up the other lot to a fire pit are,) but when the previous owner foreclosed, Fannie Mae tried to split them up and sell them separately. Well lucky for us Fannie Mae hires law students to do their closing and no one seemed to notice on the documents that the lot was included. I saw it, asked and the student was like, whatever it's yours now. SWEET. I love it when employees just don't care.
One of the major downsides to the property is that it takes a lot of tlc. It is really hard to find time to work on the yard. Max is old enough to play while I work, but the other downside to the yard is that there is no fence and lots of falls. No place for anyone under 3. Probably under 5 would be better. So I have to work when Mae is napping. Since we bought the house we have had to devote all our extra energy to the other house. (The other house always has a beautiful garden for potential buyers/renters.)
I therefore always feel the need to apologize to my current neighbors for the state of our yard. It isn't so much the lot our house is on but the neighboring lot needs a lot of work. So it is just a little bit here and a little bit there until... well it will probably never end.
Today's task was to get rid of this huge junk pile of leaves and logs behind one of our flower beds. I had been ignoring it for almost two years, hoping somehow it would be taken care of by someone else. I didn't really know who, just someone.
It is the kinda pile that looks smaller then it actually is and it looks like it could be the cosy home of snakes and other lovely animals. Luckily I didn't find any friends, but I am a bit worried that I have inhaled enough mold spores to kill me. I didn't know wood could decompose into some of the colors I saw>

Crazy. I would say that I have gotten about half of it busted up, but then the question is how am I gonna get rid of all the leaves, and all the logs. . Oof. But at least it isn't so visable to people driving by anymore. One step at a time.

6 comments:

Emily Larkin said...

Just in case anyone was wondering that first picture of Mae and I was taken about a year ago. We are both larger.

banananutmeg said...

put it next to your fire pit? It's still firewood. If you REALLY want it gone, post it on craigslist, and just say, if you want it, it's free, but you must take it all, and you must take it between the hours of such and such.
It will be gone in 24 hours

banananutmeg said...

btw I totally envy all of your flower beds.
My yard needs serious help.

Stephanie C. said...

Wow, the underside of that log looks like someone took some acrylic paints to it! And wow again, your yard IS pretty awesome; one log, one leaf, one weed-be-gone spray at a time.

Anonymous said...

Guilt over yard appearance is high on my list of reasons to be glad to own enough land that neighbors have no right to care.

The landscaped beds do look lovely. Hope you get to enjoy them soon.

Hannah

Sarah R said...

Send more pics of the house/yard when it is summer and blooming! Someday I will get out there to see it for myself... I always liked your old yard alot too. :)