Not many people have asked me outright who I voted for this election. Which is just fine by me. Usually, being a social studies teacher and an avid politics fan, I enjoy discussing politics and ideals, but this year things are different. I have many hopes and dreams for this country and the future of my son. I spend lots of time reading and studying the topics because I enjoy it and because it is my job to stay on top of what's going on. I watch CNN and Fox News, I read the newspapers daily, I spend time caring about what is going on in my city, county, and world. I could go on and on about why I voted for Barak Obama, but in the end it was because I weighed the evidence and prayed about it. I have no regrets, I only have hope. My quiet vote was not because I was ashamed of who I voted for, I wouldn't have voted in shame, it is because 99% of the people I correspond with on a daily basis are conservative Mormons. I have expressed more "liberal" views before and they just look at me like I am a the most ignorant hick on the planet. So I have kept my mouth shut because I don't like people automatically assuming that I am stupid and easily misled by the "liberal" media. Oh and by the way I voted for Bush twice. In the end, presidential elections aren't as important as city and state elections. I always remind my students that those are the people who affect you the most. (Don't even get me started on the fact that Mark Pryor ran unopposed!) I hope that Obama makes a good president. I think he will.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
In case your wondering, Jeff voted for Bob Barr. I thought about it, I like to support third parties, but in the end I felt that I don't really agree with that many Libertarian ideals.
I didn't vote for Obama, but I don't think you're crazy. And I agree that he'll probably be a great president when all is said and done. I, too, did a lot of research on both candidates and really OD'd on CNN and Fox news, thanks to XMradio. I don't believe there's such a thing as a perfect candidate, so I always find myself weighing the pros and cons of the collective policies as I think about how they personally will affect me. I can't vote for the collective people - only for me. There was a time when Obama had my vote, several months ago. In the end, you just have to go with your heart, and I'm glad you did. I did, too.
Isn't it wonderful that our church doesn't tell us who to vote for, only to carefully consider what is important to us, pray about it, and make the decision on our own? I love that freedom.
Thanks. I do love that about our church. Sadly, so many forget that and assume that Republicans are the only party. Which hey, I vote republican like 75% of the time. I really loved your post on the election. I remember when we were supposed to respect our president. I wish there had been better canditates to choose from, but I did feel better about the choice this year then last time. Man 2004 was awful.
i appreciate Kasey's end comment about the church because sometimes it doesn't feel that way!!!! Everyone in my family except my husband voted for Obama and we got a lot of flak from friends in the church about it!
Good post. I've really gotten into politics and alienated some blog readers, I'm sure. Oh well. Sometimes, you just gotta say something! I'm glad you did. I didn't vote for Obama, either. I actually went with the Constitution Party candidate because that's what I personally felt good about. I wish people could talk more openly about politics without getting offended. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!
Post a Comment