Saturday, May 2, 2009

"Someone Left the Cake Out in the Rain"


As I approach my 27th birhtday on Wednesday recent events have been reminding me that I am old. Perhaps not in years, so much as in attitude and position of life. The most recent event was last night. Jeff and I were very excited to hear that Cake was coming to town and being moderate big fans we got tickets and a babtsitter, (thank you Morgan for taking excellent care of Max.) Oh and yes, we did go to a rock concert instead of the Stake Temple Day, I am not sure what that says about me. Anyway, all day long the rain had been coming down and I was kinda hoping that being an outdoor pavillion(!!!)that maybe it would be rescheduled or refunded. NOPE, despite the tornado warnings it was still on. Well having spent the money already and having a babysitter all lined up we headed down anyway. Everyone else seemed to be in a good mood. It seemed to be filled mostly with late twenty-something and early thirty-somethings all drinking massive amounts of beer and smoking heavily, (In today's age of no smoking in buildings it was rather suprising to be reminded that so many people my age still smoke!) We were of course all huddled under the available awnings instead of in our seats which were totally drenched. So that made the smoke a bit worse, then the hail came down, yup and the water started running high on the ground and flooding areas, and the winds came, and the bastards started over 40 min late. But despite all this no one else seemed to care. Is it me? Am I getting too old? Was it just the protective instinct of a pregnant mother worried that she was standing in a puddle of water surrounded by electrical cords? Or was I just never cool enough to roll with it in the first place? Once the music started I was happy to hear some of my favorites. Any song with sheep in it is okay by me. We left after about 40 min and were drenched by the time we got to our car. Not a single part of us was dry it was as if we had gone swimming. I am not saying I will never go to another concert again, but I think I will be a bit more picky in the future. I will keep in mind what would be age appropiate, cause I'm getting old.


bonus points for the one who can name the song the title comes from, and no it's not a Cake song.

3 comments:

Carol said...

McArthur Park

Michele Larkin said...

You're not too old. Chances are that everyone else was as miserable as you were, they were just too drunk to notice.

banananutmeg said...

thanks for the heads up. I didn't think about the fact that smoking would be allowed at an outdoor concert...which we will be going to soon. That would have totally pissed me off had I not been prepared to be inhaling someone's nasty habit all night. Ew. It's not that you're old, I think you just care more about personal comfort when you get older, become more aware of the comfort of others....like, you stop BEING the annoying person on their cell phone in the library, and start being the person that's trying to study at the library and is annoyed by the chick on the phone.