Friday, November 6, 2009

Things that Must Go VIII

#1. Springdale, Ar.: This city is a waste of space, it has nothing of use to me. It has badly designed and congested intersections. It is an eyesore along I-540 and is an extra 10 min. seperating us from Fayetteville. I wish it would just sink into the earth and that Rogers and Fayetteville would come together.

#2. People who do not vaccinate their kids: I recently found out that there are a few families in my ward that do not vaccinate their kids, and I am not talking about the swine or regular flu- I am talking TB/MMR! You are not just making a decision that effects you, you are making a decision that effects me! When you don't vaccinate your kids you can bring these diseases back into society. I get really mad when people do this because they are driven to fear by right wing/anti-government politicos who prey on the fears of people to strengthen their numbers. I don't always agree with the government, (in fact I don't agree with an awful lot of it,) but I really don't believe that it is so messed up yet, that they are trying to poison us. I will get my medical advice from the CDC and the WHO (doctors and scientists) before I get it from some crack pot political blog with an agenda.

#3. Dish Network Free Preview Selections: When I first got dish network service a few years ago we used to get a free weekend of movie channels every few months or so. The rest of the time we would get month long previews of good channels like Bravo, TCM, AMC, Animal Planet. A whole variety. Now for the last year plus there have been no movie channel weekends and only sport channel previews. Seriously only the Versus channel for 2 months. I realize that this is a free preview and therefore I don't really have the right to complain, but it was just really nice before.

#4. A 2 Hour Life: I am not a fan of breastfeeding. I do it first cause I want to give my daughter the nutrition she needs, and then cause I don't want to spend money on formula. But I don't feel bonded to my kids through breastfeeding. I find it uncomfortable at best, messy (I have so much excess milk I could feed and entire village), and I really hate having to pull over every two hours to feed. I hate that my life is sectioned out into two hours increments. It makes the day feel longer, and the nights shorter.

#5. The Mother's Lounge: On the same note as the last annoyance, I hate the mother's lounge. How can a church that actively promotes child rearing not provide an adequate space for the kids to be taken care of. Our chapel is about 4 years old and the design is typical for stake centers everywhere in the country. The lounge is smaller then my dinning room. For an area with lots of young families that means the mothers lounge is always packed. When I was nursing Max and we had 4 wards in there it was often standing room only. Some women went to their cars cause there was no where else to go. It also has such bad ventilation that it requires a space heater in winter, and fan in the summer. The lounge can only be accessed by the ladies bathroom so if you need your spouse or they need you, female messengers must be found and sent. Lastly on a smaller note the walls are depressingly bare, (as most of you know I am hugely fond of artwork.) and this is probably just my ward, but the light is always off. This last complaint is just for the ladies in my building. As if the place wasn't depressing enough, everyone always keeps the light off, I feel like a bad person waking up their babies or disturbing the peace if I turn it on.

7 comments:

banananutmeg said...

haha i like the light off in the lounge because then i can sleep! (same reason i keep the sound off). Last week, some lady from a different ward brought in her STINKY NASTY toddler to change him in the mothers' lounge. what the heck?! the space is SOOO tiny that we were all dying from the smell. I actually gagged. Our conversation came to a dead halt because we couldn't speak without throwing up. Really, who does that? Change your poopy kid in the bathroom when you know it is that bad. No ventilation.

And the vaccines thing. I had to tell someone they can't bring their kid to my preschool. I get it if you are allergic to the vaccine, or if a sibling experienced some bizarre terrible side effect, but laziness and fear that it will make your kid Autistic is just poor and ignorant parenting.

Erin said...

I totally agree on the light thing. I turn it on when I am the first one in but I almost feel like I am doing something wrong. I really don't get why no one else turns it on. I totally agree on the vaccination thing too. I hated that the Ginny Vasquez lady even felt it was her place to put anything on Sister Share. I know this isn't nice but I really wish Sister Share was just for people that actually live in Bella Vista. Mean me but I think it would make it easier to use and then we would have less stupid posts from people I don't care about. Wow, I'm mean this morning. Oh and the two hour increment thing I totally feel your pain. Just remember it will end before you know it. I am getting close and closer to being able to ween Bella and it seems crazy she is that old.

Lara said...

love this post. You're such a smart lady Miss Emily. Keep it up!

banananutmeg said...

I like "Mean Erin".

and dude, Sister Share was supposed to be a NON-RS site. That's why it was moved to the new site. I don't love it the way I used to, and I don't like that it tells everyone when I am on there. People at church have stopped to comment on why I was online at midnight. Now you can't even have a lunch without announcing it and dealing with all the drama in the kitchen sink.

Sorry for using your blog to vent some more, Emily.

Jason Enger said...

Springdale is good for one thing only, the Mexican food. It seriously has some of the best "hole in the wall" Mexican food, ever. Drive down 71B and every other building is an awesome restaurant. Just look for the restaurants with the menus written by hand and only in Spanish.

P.S. I don't like "Mean Erin". I want "Nice Erin" back.

Sarah R said...

Totally with you on #2!!! There are so many studies showing that there is no link b/t vaccines and Autism, and I read the other day that the people who promoted the original study saying that it does actually retracted their info so they wouldn't get arrested. Get vaccinations for crying out loud.

I'm hoping to use my fancy shmancy pump so I can go at least every 4 hours and Rich can take a few turns with the kid in the night. I'll let you know how it goes. :)

Emily Larkin said...

Venting is what this blog was created for, its all in the mission statement. I just wish the whole ward didnt know about it cause I have some choice things to say about primary today.