
I remember learning in a psychology class that stereotypes are not necessiarly a bad thing. They are just the brains natural shortcut for processing information quickly. Stereotypes and associations are funny things. I recently had some interesting experiences with associations. This winter I watched a lot of the Olympics, for some reason I find Snowboarding captivating, in a way I have found no other sport before. I also watched some figure skating. Every time I watch figure skating I think of my college roommate Jen. Probably the coolest person I have ever or will ever know, Jen was also the only person I know who has actually attended Figure Skating competitions. You always see the people in the stands who throw the flowers and stuffies onto the ice after the performance, but think who are these people? Well she was one, she actually followed the sport. I remember one time remarking that I thought Tara Lapinski actually deserved her Gold Medal over Michelle Kwan, and well, lets just say if looks could kill. So anyway whenever I watch figure skating I think of Jen.
Cut to my recent trip to Utah. I had dinner with my friend Maureen, (as in Mae Maureen,) and she told me how every time she uses a restroom she thinks of me. Gee Thanks. She thinks of the statistic I told her several years ago about bathroom cleanliness. Did you know that when using a public restroom the cleanest stalls will be the one closet to the entrance and the handicap stall? Studies have shown that people are uncomfortable using the stall closest to the entrance and the handicap stall so the veer towards the middle. I try to use the first one myself since I have taken Max into the handicap stall and disagree with the cleanliness of these stalls. I think about this every time I use a public restroom, but since I read it somewhere I don't associate it with anything. Maureen thinks of me, Gee Thanks.
What do you my readers think of me? I have been wanting to get you blurkers to come out of hiding and comment, so following in the footsteps of one of my favorite bloggers Tia, I am offering up a contest. Post an association, memory or comment (about me,) by March 31st and your name will be entered in a drawing for a Walmart Gift card of $10! (to be spent on something personal- no groceries or gas.) I look forward to your posts, I think?
Friday, March 19, 2010
Think of Me
Posted by Emily Larkin at 2:04 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

11 comments:
I can't not think of you every time I go into Banana Republic.
I know that when I tell a joke or a story that relates to an episode of FRIENDS Gilmore Girls (which, sadly, I do a lot) that even if no one else does, you will make the connection and 'get' what I'm sayin'.
The movie The Holiday
When I'm talking about something wild that happened and I "do" the voice of the other person in the story, I totally think of you, because you're the first person to ever point out that I impersonate people I know when I'm telling a story about them.
Betty Crocker Hot Fudge Brownie Delights
That's what pops in off the top of my head.
Good clothes, funny stories, good shows, good movie, good dessert...
All good things. What a fun exercise, It will be cool for you to read all the responses.
Twilight (because you threw the only book/movie party I've ever attended).
The Gap.
Pie. Good pie.
It's worth noting that the comment word verification was "oventhe" as in put the pie in the. oven.
I think of your nursery apron - how cute you looked and how "homey" you made it feel. I remember hanging out that day and talking with you and being ticked off we aren't in the same ward anymore...knowing we share a bit of the same warped sense of humor:) I remember you bringing me pie - unexpectedly and falling in love. I also remember me owing you cinnamon rolls. :) Posting this has made me want to schedule another get together. You can give me the gift card then. :) XO
Whenever I walk by Anthropologie at the Gateway. And BYU bookstore. Is that weird?
One more: the primary song "Follow the Prophet." Alex chanted it for us at dinner tonight. You would have been so proud. ;)
I remember you having the worst case of stomach flu in your whole life when I go in the downstairs bathroom. Sorry.
strawberry shortcake
snow white
and all the other names you made us call you instead of Emily...
...I was always jealous of you girls' barbie camper van. i thought it was soooo cool!
...my favorite though was when Grandma let us wear our sunday dresses (like your FB profile pic) and we had a tea party with big umbrellas in the front yard of the Orem house
...and quilt camp when I came out for a few weeks and Grandma taught us how to make quilts...and Suzy and I finished ours! :)
I think of you when I smell sulfur. There was a time when we were driving up Hobble creek canyon and the top was down on the jeep and I smelled a fart. I thought you'd ripped some snort-and who wouldn't when you're assured that the encompassing wind would take care of it instantaneously? When we passed by the same spot on the way down, I realized that the flatus odor was peculiar to the locus rather than you. Turns out there's some sulfurous minerals in that area of the canyon. You didn't fart, or at least that's not what I smelled.
Fastball, The Way
Cafe Rio Cilantro
Potatoes, because of that rotting bag we had in our apartment
Jane Eyre
Show Choirs
Kermit the Frog, because Dad used to call you that (I'm bringing it back as a nickname by the way)
Today's Special (you were too old to enjoy that)
Red Dwarf and Dr Who
Pumpkins, because of that prank we pulled on Megan, Larsen, and Jenn.
Left hand turns sometimes remind me of when I was teaching you to drive. ("Can I go now?")
Futurama (because you gave me my collection) I think you and I are a lot like Fry and Bender. You are Bender in this scenario.
I ended up splurging on a new book while traveling last week: Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult. I have to say that it was pretty fun to buy it with 'free money.' And I am loving it - thanks!
Post a Comment