Saturday, September 11, 2010

Things That Must Go XII


1. No Bags. I really hate it when you receive your ice cream/shake order at McDonald's/Sonic and are not given a bag. What exactly qualifies you for the bag? I say if you need a spoon and napkin you deserve a bag. I still have trash to dispose of afterwards. Where am I gonna put it? Is this laziness or cheapness on the part of the eating establishments?






2. Fort Smith, Arkansas. (This one is for my parents.) This city is about an 80 min. south and west of us here in Northwest Arkansas, and apparently about 20 years ago it was the "big city" around here. Well it isn't anymore. There is nothing there and no reason to go, but it is like people can't let go. The CBS local news affiliate is based out of there so we have to hear their stories first, we've never even been there. The biggest problem, and why I think they should sink into the ground, or just float up to Heaven, either would be fine with me, comes when you are driving through Southern Missouri south to Arkansas. All the signs give you millage to Fort Smith and NOTHING ELSE! Every year when my parents trek out here they get all tired and confused by the time they hit Joplin, MO and after 13 hours they cave and eat at the McDonald's 5 min from my house cause they don't realize they are 2 miles from Bella Vista. Signage People!




3. Correctors. Now I know that I am not the sharpest knife in the drawer. I mix metaphors frequently, I am not the best at spelling, and feel that all my sentences need multiple commas. I could do much better grammatically, but I don't really want to hear about it. And what I really don't want to hear about is how I have mispronounced something. I have a friend who LOVES to inform me that I have misprounced something. In our six year friendship she has probably done this at least a dozen times. Now it is not that I don't care, (although sometimes I really don't,) its also not so much about my pride, the real problem is that I do not care to be talked down to. At one point while discussing the Oquirrh Mountain Temple, she got so upset about my incorrect pronunciation, she had me recite it over and over again multiple times. Ummm.... I am not your student or child so stop treating me like one. I was recently telling some other ladies about this incident and not two days later this friend did it to me again. I suppose you can make the argument that she is just trying to be nice, and I think that is the case for other people, some people just can't stand mistakes, well if that is the case with you, at least broach the person nicely and with tact.




4. My Bathtub. Now usually I try to keep this list to items that could possibly be bothering other people, allowing for group therapy if you will. But having spent the last 30 min. cleaning my tub I feel justified in saying the beast must go. When we bought this house I realized that there were items that weren't fantastic and would be a nuisance. This tub is way up on that list. Original to the 25 year old house, the tub is a cast-iron whirlpool. Whirlpool that doesn't work. How do you clean a Whirlpool that doesn't work? You can't get those tubes clean. It is so big and deep that you have to get in it to clean and break your back to lift kids in and out of. The thing is that because of the house layout, the tub will probably remain for years until we can remodel the bathroom and kitchen. Grrr....




3 comments:

Sarah R said...

I gotta tell ya, I thought from the picture the thing that must go are those DANG SLIDING GLASS bathtub doors! Not only are they perpetually dirty, they are practically impossible to clean unless you are an octopus and make it hard to clean the rest of the tub. Thank you.

By the way, it's pronounced "O-kur." ;)

Emily Larkin said...

yeah, I am a curtain fan myself. I told Jeff it would stay up til it got to hard to clean. Well after a year the time has come and it is coming down tonight. And not to worry I surely know how to pronounce it now.

chococatania said...

haha! when we were buying our house, our realtor kept bragging about being from Ft. Smith, "The second biggest city in Arkansas". (She kept saying that). We just laughed becuase between Pete and I, we've lived in Houston, Phoenix, Philadelphia, and New York City. We're not moving to Arkansas because of Ft. Smith...anyways - I thought that was funny.

And, I hate correcting, too. I majored in english, and I've got to say that I could spend time correcting people all day, but then I'd look like a fool because I screw up all the time, too. (I blame my children for destroying my vocabulary and grammar). I just hate snobs and when people are condescending. I get really sensitive about that. All the correcting makes me want to (1) point out their mistakes (2) punch them in the face.

Anyway...good list.