Not really. Just like her older brother Max, Miss Mae is not inclined to learn or use new words. I am a bit surprised because I assumed that her being a girl and hearing Max talk to her and me would have encouraged her to talk more then Max at her age. Nope. She uses few words maybe 10 total. She does jibber jabber and sings Old MacDonald often, but she doesn't want to use words. When we wanted to get Max to use a new word, such as up, we would say to word to him and show him the action. Once we saw that he understood what the word meant we would make him use it if he wanted to get pulled up out of his crib. This method DOES NOT work for Mae. She is such a stubborn little girl that she refuses to talk. I know she understands me, I can see it in her eyes, but she just doesn't want to talk cause she knows we want her to talk. We have had quite a few confrontations over this. I have finally decided to give up this approach and just wait for her to talk when she wants to. Anyone have any stubborn talkers?
Thursday, September 1, 2011
The Sound of Silence
Posted by Emily Larkin at 4:22 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I wonder if reverse psychology would work....shhhhh'ing her with your finger to your lips when she does talk? Maybe if she thinks you dint want her to talk, she will. She's a smart cookie!
Quincy was slow to talk and we learned that it was because Reese did all of the talking for her. That, and she often had her thumb in her mouth. We used humor to get her to talk more, she loved to be funny, so we would laugh and give big positive reactions when she did talk and it was a good motivator for her.
Post a Comment