Friday, October 14, 2011

Rise and Shout!

I'll be honest, I am not a sports fan.  I do enjoy college sports, but not enough to really care.  For some unknown reason I cannot stand professional sports.  Something about the amateur sports makes me care a little more, like I could know these people and therefore root for them.  I may not be a big sports fan but I do love my Alma mater.  I love BYU.  Those were some of the best years of my little life.  The campus is like my home.  I remember going to the campus when I was younger then Max and my dad was finishing up his degree, (with the old school cougar eat that had all the flags.)  My mom would often take us to the bookstore.  Then when we moved back to Provo when I was in high school, I would have to cut across campus walking home from school, (around the giant hole that was Library under construction.)  Krista and I would meet up after her classes sometimes.  (I love any memory of when Krista would hang with me.)  Going to BYU was an amazing experience.  I learned so much and met Jeff of course.  I even got to work at the Bookstore for so many years.  I had my favorite buildings; The WILK, the JSB, and buildings I hated; I actually had a class in the SFLC before it was torn down.  I had a class all the way up at the Harmon building, and surprisingly had many classes in the Clyde engineering building. I never lived on campus, but I lived so close that I was closer to campus then most on campus housing.  So I may not be a big Cougar fan, but I have school spirit.

(And like I tell those annoying students who call me up once a month asking for money I will donate when I don't have two mortgages!  I have learned to avoid any call from 801-422.)  If I ever win the big powerball, you know the 300+ million dollar one, I want to donate enough to build a building and I would have them call it the Jeanne Cox Tobler building after my mom who got her Bachelor of Fine Arts there.  Cause my mom is awesome, instilled in me the importance of getting an education, and cause there aren't enough buildings named after women on the campus.

Thanks to my wonderful sister in law Sarah for sending us the spirit wear.  Mae has a shirt also, but we can't seem to get all three in a shot together.

3 comments:

joni said...

thats what you get for giving the alumni association your current phone number. those people have no idea what state i live in and I plan on keeping it that way! My poor kids dont have any BYU clothing. And we even have parties to watch the games! so you are way ahead of me in the spirit department!

Emily Larkin said...

joni- I actually thought of you when I was writing this post. I was thinking of all you animal husbandry classes down on their "farm." I got to tour that place when I was a kid living in Provo.

Liz said...

when i worked at Utah State, I worked in the "development" office aka fundraising. When I graduating, i set my alumni profile to the "do not call" and "do not mail" lists. Best choice ever! I promise I'll give them money when I can, I have to pay back my scholarships, but not yet!

My kids have cougar gear, aggie gear, and gopher gear. It might give them an identity crisis!