So about 5 years ago we had moved into our first house in Bella Vista, AR which had a big clear flat back yard, (a rarity it Bella Vista.) Jeff decided it would be great for a dog. Now as many of you know I have never been a dog person. They were okay in my mind. We even had one for like a week before my parents got rid of it because it whined at night, (RIP Ginger.) So my most recent experience had been my in laws golden retriever Sandy who was a nice dog, but would jump up on you all the time cause she had too much energy for her situation. So not a lover but really not a hater. Jeff had grown up with dogs. He told me how he always took care of his dog and it would not be a problem. So he went to the shelter and got Daisy. A husky mix, Daisy is a beautiful dog. We always got stopped by admirers when we walked her, which was fairly often before we had kids. She got to come inside frequently despite her shedding problem. The only major downside is she pooped in my garage! Yuck! So flash forward five years and two kids and one new house later, daisy was all but forgotten daily and while not suffering I would say she did not have the best quality of life. I finally wore Jeff down and we decided to get rid of Daisy. We tried Craigslist, no go. Did you know you can't list pets in the free section? Whats up with that? The shelter lady basically told me she would kill the dog and that I was a miserable human being for trying them. So we were stuck. I kept begging my friends and church officials to just pick her up and drop her off in a big farm or something. No takers. (Perhaps they thought I was kidding...I wasn't!) So after a tearful call to my dad for guidance, (cause my dad always has all the answers,) we posted her one more time on craigslist. Before it was quickly taken down we had a taker. A fireman from Gravette, (a small farm community a few miles west of here,) had promised his 11 year old daughter a husky if she met her goals this semester. The family lives on an actual farm! They have another dog and lots of older kids. When the came to meet Daisy it was love at first sight. I felt like I was watching the reunion of long lost family members. The immediate chemistry was actually a bit odd, (I mean I know we weren't the best caretakers, but she was taken care of. We didn't beat her or anything.) Daisy left and all parties were happy. Jeff is a bit sad, but more at the failed idea then actual situation. And I am sure he takes solace each night in knowing that I will not ask him as soon as he gets into bed if he has fed and watered the dog. So let this be a lesson to all you readers....the MOM is the actual caretaker of any family pet no matter how old or responsible your children are. (My mother in law will be happy to know that Jeff has now realized with appreciation the time and effort she always put into taking care of the family dogs.)
Monday, June 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
OOooh! Congratulations!!!!!
Just for the record Jeff's sister took a lot of care of the dog. Even took him rollerblading on the bike path in Provo Canyon a few times until he tried to kill me by darting in front of me with his leash. You would have liked Max, he was a good dog and no poop in the garage. Hope Daisy does well. The temple prayer roll worked!
Post a Comment