Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunshine in June


So, this hasn't been monthly as planned, but hey, periodically is better then never. Happy Father's Day Dad. My father is an superb father. It seems fitting that I am having a difficult time coming up with the right words for a man of few words. When I was a kid it was clear that I was a momma's girl, or more then that, I was just a baby who needed the apron strings cut. I am pretty sure my family would be happy to go the rest of their lives without hearing me call out MAOOOMMM. But dad has always been a favorite person. I knew that I could always turn to him for spiritual guidance. To this day I have a special fondness for the story of Joseph in Israel, since that is the first lesson my dad gave as my CTR A teacher. My favorite memory of my dad comes from my early years. I was coloring and I asked my dad to draw a picture of me, he obliged and drew me, but he drew me with a mustache! Oh this made me so mad! Around the fourth grade I got it into my head that my dad was sad he never had a son, so I tried to get into football, basketball, and baseball. Luckily my dad could have cared less about having a son. He never made us feel like disappointments. He sure does love having grandsons though. It was easy to pick a middle name for Max, cause me dad is such an excellent example and role model for him. He has a special greeting for them on the phone. You can always tell when it is him on the phone cause you can hear this HELLOOOO MAAAAX coming out of the receiver. We talk to him all the time and I find myself always getting the best advice from him. He helped me solve my dog problem, so that there is enough to qualify him for sainthood in my book. I do hate shopping for my dad though. I love my dad, but I NEVER know what to get him. I do believe the hardest years of my life are when he worked for Hastings Video cause that took all books, music, and video's out of the running. Actually things weren't much better when he then went to work for Lowes. My mother has made it quite clear that I am forbidden from ever buying him a tie. But that's okay cause she does do a good job. My dad's Sunday gettup is always class act all the way. My mom is sooooo easy to shop for, but my dad is super hard. He always answers "Socks and Underware" when you ask him what he wants. How am I supposed to work with that? There is one thing I know he wants and as soon as I win Powerball I am buying my dad a Honda Shadow Motorcycle. I Love my Dad.

0 comments: